Avoiding and mitigating safety risks in urban environments
R&D Project - European
- Contact person: Dimitrios Skoutas
- Relevant publications
- Thematic tags: Geospatial data , Knowledge extraction , Crowdsourcing , Data integration
- Start date: 01-05-2015
- Duration: 36 months
- Programme: RIA, H2020-FCT-10-2014
- Funding: 3.2 MEuro
- IMSI funding: 452 KEuro
- Project webpage: http://www.cityrisks.eu/
- Partners: Space Hellas S.A., Fraunhofer Institute for Open Communication Systems FOKUS, Athena Research & Innovation Center in Information, Communication and Knowledge Technologies, SYNYO GmbH, Infili UK Ltd, Institute of Communications and Computer Systems, Freie Universität Berlin, The Institute for Criminal Policy Research, Malmö University, Roma Capitale, The London Borough of Waltham Forest, G4S Security Solutions EOOD, Comune di Prato
The main objective of the City.Risks project is to increase the perception of security of citizens in big urban environments by activating in a more transparent and sustainable way their participation in communities, through which information and interventions can be provided both to proactively protect citizens from falling victims to criminal activities as well as to reactively provide more timely and effective response and assistance. In order to do so, the City.Risks project will leverage a set of innovative technologies, city infrastructures, and available data sources, but more importantly will aim at making the citizens' smart phones the modern tool for increasing their personal and collective sense of security. The project will design and develop an innovative ecosystem of mobile services that will transform the smart phone or the tablet of the citizen into a tool that will collect, visualise and share safety-critical information with the appropriate authorities and communities. The project will rely on a wide spectrum of available technologies to design and implement an interactive framework among authorities and citizens through mobile applications that will allow in a collaboratively way to prevent or mitigate the impact of crime incidents or other security threats. Thus, it will contribute to an increase of the citizens' perception of security, which will be measured and validated in real-life scenarios and conditions through the deployment and operation of pilot trials at several selected cities by the project partners.
Read more: City.Risks @ IMIS / Athena R.C.